Thursday, April 19, 2012

100 miles! I have gone from newborn to infant!

Yes, most people would think that newborn and infant is the same thing. Not me. Newborn is when you still have that new baby smell and infant is when your able to ... I don't know. Bad analogy.

Well, I have ran/jogged/hobbled my broken body in my Vibram 5 Finger Treksports for ONE HUNDRED MILES.

Last night Tabitha and I managed to get Wendi out there running with us and at first it sounded like she just might pass out and then she found her groove and started to have fun. It's always so cute when people finally get past the whole, "i hate you for making me run, you suck, you're the worst person i know and i don't know why i am your friend and come visit you on run days!" and they just accept the fact that they are going to do this and start having fun with it.

I got about a mile in and my calf and ankles locked up. "what the hell?!" OOOOOH, I had come off the trail and was running on pavement in my 5 fingers and I had yet to REALLY run on pavement before. " Son of a mother freakin..." I started to try to rolodex through all my stored information on 'cramped up ankles'. I got nothing.
So in all my infinite wisdom, I went with 'continue to run'. It worked a year ago when a 5 mile trail run turned into a 25 mile trail run where my hip popped out and I was in so much pain that the only thing I could think to do was keep going, because really...what other option did I have when I was out in the middle of nowhere?

As we neared the apartment complex we noticed a car had come out of the gate and since both of us had once again forgotten our clicker, we were going to have to sit and wait for another car to come to open the gate, but me in my spirit of moving decided to see if I could outrun the gate closing. I could hear the mission impossible theme humming in my head as I went balls to the wall running and I made it! I wanted to turn around and say, "DID YOU SEE THAT?" but I tried to be cool about the fact that I actually just ran REALLY fast.
It felt pretty good and I think it's time that we took up Paula's weekly track running and start working on speed.

It was only two miles, but I did come to the realization that I will not be able to street run in my V5F until at least 500 miles or I am going to set myself back further than I already have.

Time to dust of my Ascics.





No comments:

Post a Comment