Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Training Run...69 total miles

Reluctantly I began week two of training for the 10k in May. Tabitha is back out with me and she is just sadistic.
After months of having to baby her calf, she is loving that her calf muscles are burning and tight. "YES! I love this feeling!!" She finally feels the 'good pain' and she's taunting the running Gods, "GIVE ME ALL YOU GOT!"
I was whimpering, "i'm not with her."

I've decided that this trail race will be done barefoot so I have been training in the Vibrams and as much as I want to just have one day of cushioned goodness I am not going to give in.
Last night just hitting the trail I knew my feet were not ready for the pounding I was going to give them. We started out slow and then I started my pace. My left hip decided to lock up before we made it to the first corner. I stretched it out and kept running. By the time I hit the highway split my calves and hip were pissed. Pushing through I practiced my speed walk and then got into a slow trot again.

I passed my estimated times for the run/walk scenario I papered out and I was proud of that.
The key for me is to zone out and not try to keep up with Tabitha because she is a Kenyan and there is no use trying, but to use her as my beacon to where I need to be and if I need to speed up to keep the distance only 45 seconds behind her. Last night I kept it at almost 1 minute behind and if I pushed a little bit, I could keep the right pace.

Coming back home I found a hummingbird in the apartment complex. It was hopping around and trying to get flight. Shea and I took it in and nursed it, and it was still alive this morning, but didn't make it until it was time to take him to the aviary rescue.

This morning my calves, hip and feet feel fine. I do recognize that I need to rest them, but keep them going.

No comments:

Post a Comment