Sunday, February 12, 2012

Two hikes this weekend brings the total to 46 miles

On Saturday I went on a hike with Tabitha, her son and another friend. Tabitha is the third person of Hiking With the Exes. We took her friend from work to Empire State Mine. It's a hike we have done a few times before and really enjoyed. The only downfall is it that it's an hour drive there and back. The people on the trail are always really nice and you get to see dogs, horses and people enjoying their bikes.

I debated between my Brooks and my Vibrams right up until I was ready to leave. My calves were feeling a little bit tight after Friday's mileage and I didn't want to push it, but the trail was perfect for my Vibrams so I decided to just do some extra stretching and hope it would hold up.

They didn't disappoint.

There is this one hill that I have struggled with in the past and they did so great I was almost in tears when I crested the top of the hill.

Sunday my boyfriend, his son and I went out to the same place. After the snow hike from a couple weeks ago, I needed to redeem his faith in my ability to take him out and see fun stuff. This hike didn't disappoint either. Around every corner was something fun to see, crawl on and speculate what it was for. At the Visitor's center I picked up a trail map that explained what some of the stuff was and that helped with the guess work.

On day two of the same hike I could feel that my feet were tired. My legs even complained the second time up that hill. My boyfriend is part billy goat as is his son, so we did a bit off trail exploring to see what we could see. We made our way up a very steep rock pile to investigate and this is where I would have expected to really feel the pain in my feet. I paid close attention to the pads of feet while we were up there and I would say it was pretty minimal. Nothing I couldn't handle.

Today was the first time I noticed what every other Vibram wearer talks about...the smell. Okay, after 37 miles they needed to be washed in a big way. After my most relaxing bath where I scrubbed my feet and thanked them for another beautiful weekend of exploring, walking, jogging and running I washed my shoes with Yardley soap.

I love my Vibrams.

No comments:

Post a Comment